martedì 2 febbraio 2021

R: ONCE UPON A TIME THERE WERE...GNOLLS! / C'ERANO UNA VOLTA...GLI GNOLL!

                                              

    Among the miniatures that my father brought back to me many years ago from a business trip to Milan (thanks dad!), there was also a group of four "dogmen" from the Scottish producer Alternative Armies. They are still in production by the same company, as you can see from this photo and from the link to the page from which it is taken:



 

    Although original and quite well made, these miniatures had not particularly attracted me at the time, also due to the difficulty of framing the race to which they belonged and to reconcile it with the world of Warhammer, which was my point of reference.

    In short, I painted only one of the miniatures, the one that intrigued me most for details, such as the severed human head hanging from the belt. The results were not particularly brilliant, as can be seen from this photo:

 























    In my defense, I specify that it was the third or fourth miniature I was trying to paint and that the enamels I used were not very easy to use. It is however evident that the precision leaves a lot to be desired and that I had instead succumbed to the temptation to try as many colours as possible with a really inappropriate "Harlequin effect"!

    I recently picked up the three unpainted miniatures and the fourth painted (very badly, as D kindly pointed out to me) in my hand, with the intention of remedying my faults and giving a new look to these figures. But first I wanted to understand who these beings were that Alternative Armies classifies as dogmen.

    From a web search (a resource I certainly did not have in the 1990s) I realized that these "dogmen" were clearly inspired by GNOLLS, with some variation in name and appearance for probable copyright reasons. BUT WHO EXACTLY ARE GNOLLS?

    There was a need for an additional investigation ...

_______________________________________________________________


    Tra le miniature che molti anni fa mi vennero riportate da mio padre da un viaggio di lavoro a Milano (grazie babbo!), c'era anche un gruppo di quattro "dogmen" della ditta scozzese Alternative Armies. Tra l'altro esse sono ancora in produzione da parte della stessa azienda, come si può vedere da questa foto e dal link alla pagina da cui è tratta :



    Anche se originali e abbastanza ben realizzate, queste miniature non mi avevano allora particolarmente attratto, anche per la difficoltà di inquadrare la razza a cui appartenevano e di conciliarla con il mondo di Warhammer, che era il mio punto di riferimento.

    In breve, dipinsi soltanto una delle miniature, quella che mi aveva maggiormente incuriosito per i dettagli, come la testa umana mozzata appesa alla cintura. I risultati non furono particolarmente brillanti, come si vede da questa foto:





    A mia discolpa preciso che si trattava della terza o quarta miniatura che provavo a dipingere e che gli smalti che usavo non erano semplicissimi da adoperare. E' tuttavia evidente che la precisione lascia molto a desiderare e che avevo invece ceduto alla tentazione di provare più smalti possibile con un "effetto Arlecchino" davvero poco appropriato!

    Ho ripreso ultimamente in mano le tre miniature non dipinte e la quarta dipinta (molto male, come mi ha fatto gentilmente notare D), con il proposito di rimediare alle mie colpe e di dare una nuova veste a queste figure. Prima però volevo capire chi fossero questi esseri che Alternative Armies  classifica come uomini-cane.

    Da una ricerca sul web (una risorsa di cui certo non disponevo negli anni Novanta) ho capito che questi "dogmen" erano chiaramente ispirati agli GNOLL, con qualche variazione nel nome e nell'aspetto per probabili ragioni di copyright. MA CHI SONO ESATTAMENTE GLI GNOLL?

    C'era bisogno di un supplemento di indagine...

4 commenti:

  1. Uno gnoll forse è una razza nata dall'incrocio tra uno gnomo e un troll?

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. C'è qualcuno che ha detto anche questo...
      MA NON È COSÌ.

      Elimina
  2. Hey, Rocco! I'm curious what you will do with my Gnolls, so I'll be following from now on! :)

    RispondiElimina
  3. Thank you very much! I will follow your blog too. I hope my gnoll project is interesting - new updates soon!

    RispondiElimina

R: GNOLL GOSSIP: AA OH6 DOGMEN AGAIN /GOSSIP GNOLL: ANCORA UOMINI CANE AA OH6

    Unfortunately February was a less than productive month for the hobby, but I am able to present some further information on the dogmen o...