domenica 10 ottobre 2021

R: A NEWCOMER GNOLL AND A BIG DUDE / UNO GNOLL APPENA ARRIVATO E UN GROSSO TIPO

    After a very long break, due to the long and hot summer and a lot of work, I come back to show up with a post about my gnolls/dogmen project. Unfortunately I did not go on with the painting work, and I have watched with great envy the progress of many other miniature painters.
    In the meantime, I had the opportunity to get some minor accessories for basing, such as suitable bases, tombstones, shields, and other objects with which to enrich the scene. Furthermore, I would like to present at least a newcomer, who has actually been waiting for a few months in a box: it is the gnoll archer with bare head, which D and my wife gave me in spring for my birthday. Here is the new member next to his (not very successful) cardboard template with which I had replaced him in the regiment while waiting to get him.



 

    With him I was able to complete the series of the five Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Citadel archers (ADD55) designed by Goodwin. I now realize that, starting this project, I underestimated the rarity of these gnolls, which are extremely difficult to find. I still haven't found the last of the four gnolls armed with an axe and three of those with pole weapons. The search continues!
    However, I managed to get my hands on a miniature that I will use as a unit filler on the right side of the regiment, with the value of four miniatures: it is the giant zombie wolf from Confrontation - an original piece, not a recast.

 



    This miniature, not so easy to find today, immediately fascinated me and it seems to me that it goes well with the rest of the pack (after all, a wolf is a relative of dogs...). From an aesthetic point of view, the Rackham wolfen have a very narrow body at the waist, more than the build of the Citadel and Alternative Armies gnolls, but this being is a dead and worn corpse, and it is therefore plausible that it could be very emaciated. About the reason for his presence in a pack of dogmen I already have a story in mind ... ever heard of "whiterlings"?
    While waiting to move on to painting the first models, in the next post I will illustrate how I want to build the whole of my unit and the kind of narrative I have designed accompany it. See you soon!

______________________________________________________________________


    Dopo una lunghissima pausa, dovuta alla lunga e calda estate e a molto lavoro, torno a farmi vivo con un post sul mio progetto degli gnoll/uomini cane. Purtroppo non sono andato avanti nel lavoro di pittura, ed ho guardato con grande invidia i progressi di molti altri pittori.

    Ho avuto nel frattempo modo di procurarmi alcuni accessori minori per l’imbasettamento, come basi adatte, pietre tombali, scudi, ed altri oggetti con cui arricchire la scena. Inoltre vorrei almeno presentare un nuovo arrivato, che per la verità aspetta da alcuni mesi in una scatola: si tratta dell’arciere gnoll con il capo scoperto, che D e mia moglie mi hanno regalato in primavera per il mio compleanno. Ecco il nuovo membro accanto alla sua sagoma di cartone (non molto riuscita) con la quale lo avevo sostituito nel reggimento in attesa di procurarmelo.

 


    Con esso sono riuscito a completare la serie dei cinque arcieri Citadel Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (ADD55) disegnati da Goodwin. Mi rendo ora conto che, iniziando questo progetto, avevo sottovalutato la rarità di questi gnoll, che sono estremamente difficili da trovare. Ancora non ho trovato l’ultimo dei quattro gnoll armato di ascia e ben tre di quelli con armi in asta. La ricerca continua!

    Ce l'ho però fatta ad accaparrarmi una miniatura che userò come unit filler nella parte destra del reggimento, con il valore di quattro miniature: si tratta del lupo zombie gigante di Confrontation - un pezzo originale, non un recast.

 



    Questa miniatura, oggi di non così facile reperibilità, mi ha subito affascinato e mi sembra si abbini bene con il restante branco (d'altronde un lupo è parente dei cani...). Dal punto di vista estetico, i wolfen Rackham hanno un corpo dalla vita molto sottile, più della corporatura degli gnolls Citadel e Alternative Armies, ma questo essere è un cadavere morto e consunto, ed è quindi plausibile che possa essere molto smunto. Per la sua presenza in un branco di uomini-cane ho già in mente una storia…mai sentito parlare di "whiterling"?

    In attesa di passare alla pittura dei primi modelli, nel prossimo post illustrerò come voglio costruire l’insieme della mia unità e il genere di narrazione che ho progettato la accompagni. A presto!

2 commenti:

  1. Those AD&D Gnolls are some of my favourite miniatures. As you say, unfortunately rare and pricey!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Having already from my teens the Alternative Armies gnolls with a canine appearance, I looked about a year ago for other gnolls that were similar and I came across these Citadel miniatures, which immediately won me over for the proportions, the attention to detail, the quality of the sculpture, the variety despite being variations of three basic types: one of Jes Goodwin's best products for fantasy. Too bad the sudden revocation of Citadel's AD&D license in 1987 made them so rare!

      Elimina

R: GNOLL GOSSIP: AA OH6 DOGMEN AGAIN /GOSSIP GNOLL: ANCORA UOMINI CANE AA OH6

    Unfortunately February was a less than productive month for the hobby, but I am able to present some further information on the dogmen o...